The Shintani Wado Kai Karate Federation (SWKKF) was founded by Masaru Shintani in 1966. The federation is likely the largest martial arts organization of a single style in North America. Current registered membership is approximately 3000 students with 400+ active black belts.
The greatest densities of members are in southern Ontario & Alberta, with continued growth in SK, MB, QC, NWT, the West Coast and the USA. The SWKKF also supports a national team to represent the organization at various tournaments within and outside the organization.
The 2013 SWKKF Scholarship application date is fast approaching! Applications must be in by June 30, 2013. Candidates now have the option to email or mail their applications.
The Wado Kai Student Development Fund offers two annual scholarships of $500 each. All qualifying secondary students in Canada are eligible for selection. To view more about the scholarship and the criteria click here.
- Message from the President - Pg.3
- Tournament Results - Pg.4
- Nunchaku Seminar Info - Pg.5
- Thunder Bay Hosts First Annual Tournament - Pg.6–7
- Millwoods Karate Club Clinic - Pg.8‐13
- South Western, ON Regional Wado‐Kai Karate Training Shiai - Pg.14‐15
- Wawa Wado‐Kai Karate Club News - Pg.16‐17
- Whitecourt Wado‐Kai Karate 11th Annual Tournament - Pg.18‐23
- A Tribute to Sensei June Lebrun - Pg.24
- Tournoi Nordik Wado‐Kai 2013 - Pg.25‐26
- Cancer Really Needs its Butt Kicked! - Pg.27
- Tournament Rules and Judging - Pg.28
- Karate Event Prep Tips - Pg.29
- Beyond the Basics – Wado‐Kai Karate Essentials - Pg.30–38
- There and Back Again – A Shindo Tale - Pg.39–43
- Instructors Clinic – Building Techniques and Friendships - Pg.44
- Later Days - Pg.45–47
- Port Dover Instructors Clinic - Pg.48–51
- Skylar’s Story - Pg.52–53
- How Karate Saved My Life - Pg.54
- Letter from the Editor - Pg.55
This month we will be holding a Senate meeting. At the end of the meeting our main goal is to ensure that we follow in the footsteps of Sensei Shintani. He gave us a wonderful organization and it is our commitment to keep it strong. For these meetings we require the support of our Club Reps, Regional Reps, Provincial reps and most importantly, the students of the SWKKF.
The 2012/2013 season is almost at a close. It has been an incredible season and I look forward to the 2013/2014 season. Event organizers - keep in mind to get your events into me when you have them. That way they can be added to the calendar of events and onto the www.shintani.ca website.